This super simple eggplant with sesame seeds dish is one of my favorites and nicely complements a simple dinner bowl.
But that’s not the only way you can enjoy it. It also works well as a snack on a party table (even if the party is only for me and may or may not mean binge watching the last season of Modern Family…).
These eggplant slices go nicely together with hummus, yogurt sauce, and falafel. Alternatively, you can also put them on a bed of sticky rice with spicy stir-fried bok choi and sautéed mushrooms.
The slices taste the best warm just out of the oven, but I sometimes eat the leftovers for breakfast the next day. They are great even then. So what are you waiting for – start cooking! Prepare to delight your taste buds.
Know your ingredient:
Eggplant is botanically a berry and belongs to the nightshades family. It’s originally from India but today it’s widely grown and used in the Middle East, the Mediterranean, and all over Asia.
It has many varieties and various shapes. There are long thin ones and small round ones and everything in between. The colors also vary from white to yellow to green to the well- known dark purple.
Raw eggplant mostly consists of water (92%), has 6% carbohydrates, 1% protein and almost no fat. From micro-nutrients, 100 g of eggplant contains 11% of the daily value of manganese.
As said the eggplant is low on calories, but it absorbs liquids and oil very well so this should be kept in mind while cooking it.
Suggested Cooking Tools
Sesame-Roasted Eggplant Slices
- 1 Large Eggplant
- 1 tbsp Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Salt to Taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°C.
- Halve the eggplant lengthwise and then slice to about 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Mix together lemon juice, salt and olive oil.
- Lay the eggplant slices on the baking tray in one layer, brush with the olive oil mixture and sprinkle with half of the sesame seeds.
- Turn the slices over and repeat on the other side.
- Bake the eggplant for 10 minutes, then turn over the slices and bake for another 10 minutes.