Combined with dinosaur kale and butter-thyme-mushrooms, this roasted chicken dish is the ultimate keto combo. It comes together in minutes with a few simple ingredients. Just over an hour in the oven and you have a low-carb, ketogenic diet-friendly dinner that keeps you full, satisfied, and in fat-burning mode.
You do not have to be a gourmet chef to whip up this delicious meal. And the result will have both your non-keto friends and family members salivating.
There is nothing as comforting as roasted chicken. Plus, who doesn’t love a savory broth with butter and herbs? Just like grandma used to make.
Note: The ketogenic diet is good not only for weight-loss, but for mental clarity and therapeutic purposes as well. Dietary fat, protein, and low-glycemic vegetables are its primary components.
Roasted Chicken and Kale with Butter-Thyme Mushrooms
Roasted Chicken and Kale
- 2 ½ - 3 lb Whole Roaster Chicken (pasture-raised) Giblets Removed
- 1 Large or Two Small Bunches Dinosaur (Italian) Kale (or regular kale)
- 2 tbsp Pastured butter Softened
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp White or Black Pepper
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 lb Baby Portobello Mushrooms, Sliced
- 3 tbsp Pastured Butter
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme (or 2 - 3 fresh sprigs)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
For the chicken and kale
- Preheat oven to 350°F, placing a rack in the center position.
- Wash the kale and remove the thick spines down the center. You should be able to peel the dark, leafy portion right off. Discard spines, placing the leaves in the bottom of a deep casserole dish.
- Place the whole roaster chicken, breast side up, on top of the kale.
- Gently lift the edge of the skin at the neck and rub butter beneath the skin, pushing it in as far as you can get it. Rub the remaining butter all over the surface of the chicken skin.
- Rub the outside of the chicken evenly with salt, pepper, and dried rosemary.
- Place the lid snugly on the casserole dish and bake for 45-55 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Remove the lid. Turn the heat up to 425°F and continue baking another 15 minutes or until the chicken skin is crisp and golden.
- Start preparing the mushrooms as soon as you remove the casserole lid and return the chicken to the oven.
For the Mushrooms
- Rinse any debris from the mushrooms and pat dry. Slice into thin slices.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter is just melted, add the mushrooms and thyme.
- Cook, turning regularly to coat with butter, until the mushrooms are tender and there are juices covering the bottom of the pan. 4 - 7 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.