Risotto is an awesome dish from Italy. And this risotto with asparagus recipe is awesome too.
If you have spent hundreds of hours of your life watching cooking shows and competitions like I have (really, I am sure with these hours I could have had another master’s degree or even more, but oh well – have to have a hobby) then you might be a little intimidated by it. In reality, it only takes around half an hour to prepare.
If you are new to risotto, then this risotto with asparagus recipe is a great place to start. Once you learn a few tricks, all your friends will think you are a master chef!
Know your ingredient
Rice is one of the oldest known foods consumed today. There are more than 40 000 varieties of rice! It is one of the most consumed staple foods in the world, especially in Asia.
Arborio is a special type of short grain rice, originally cultivated in Italy and mostly used for Risotto. It releases starch during the cooking process, giving risotto its creaminess.
Suggested Cooking Tools
- 4 cups chicken Broth
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots Peeled and Chopped
- 14 spears Asparagus average size
- 1.25 cup Arborio Rice
- 1 cup Parmesan Grated
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Tomatoes and Basil to Serve
- Heat up the chicken broth.
- Trim the asparagus and dice thinly leaving the tender and pretty tips of asparagus (about 4 cm).
- On the bottom of a saucepan fry the tips of asparagus in a little oil for a few minutes, then set aside.
- On medium heat sweat the onions in the rest of the oil on medium heat for a few minutes. Add diced asparagus and fry for a few more minutes.
- Then add the rice, mix thoroughly and again fry for another minute.
- Start gradually adding the broth – first add one ladle, mix and let the rice absorb the stock. Then add another ladle of broth and mix again. The whole process takes about 20 minutes, but taste the rice already on 16 minutes to make sure it will not be overcooked. You might not need all the broth.
- Once you feel that the rice is almost done take it off the heat, mix in the cream and Parmesan, season to taste and cover with a lid for 5 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl, add the asparagus tips on top and serve the tomatoes with basil as a side.