Thinking about cake we most probably think about something really tasty, sweet and rather unhealthy. Today’s vegan strawberry cakes recipe is absolutely delicious and sweet enough for me but it is most definitely not unhealthy. I would even go an extra mile and call it healthy! These type of cakes are often called ”vegan cheesecakes” and the creamy filling of cashews and fresh berries really does remind you of a cream cheese filling. It’s just a hundred times better in my humble opinion.
Know your ingredient
Prunes are dried fruits of a certain type of plum tree. Fresh prunes are edible too, but they are rarely sold. If they are, then they are usually smaller in size compared to regular plums, their stone is easier to remove and the prune season is usually a little earlier than the plum season.
Prunes consist of 31% water, 64% carbohydrates including 7% of dietary fiber, 2% of protein and less than 1% fat. What makes prunes special, is the high amount of dietary fiber. This might have a laxative effect when consumed in too large amounts, but since most of the western diet actually lacks fiber they are a welcome addition to a diet.
Raw Vegan Strawberry Cakes
- 2/3 cup Almonds
- 1/2 cup Prunes Dried Plums
- 2/3 cup Cashews
- 1 cup Fresh Strawberries
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Butter
- 2 tbsp Agave Syrup
- Extra Fresh Strawberries to Serve
- Soak the cashews in cold water overnight. In case you really-really-really don´t have so much time soak them in hot water for at least half an hour.
- For the base layer crush the almonds roughly using a stick blender, then add the prunes and pulse for a few more times so the mixture almost holds together.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts and press it flat on the bottom of small molds. Set the molds aside until you prepare the filling.
- Melt the cocoa butter with agave on very low heat. If the weather is hot, a sunny place might be just enough, if not just use your stove set to as low as possible,
- Clean the strawberries, throw them in a powerful blender and blend until smooth.
- Drain and rinse the cashews, add them to the strawberry mixture with melted cocoa butter and agave and blend until really smooth. Make sure you use a really powerful blender!
- Pour the mixture on top of the base layer in the molds and leave them to set in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Take the cakes out of the freezer for at least half an hour before serving and enjoy with fresh berries.