Probably one of the healthiest dishes on the planet, this salad is definitely not going to leave you hungry or missing for anything else. It is a perfect way to include more vegetables to your meals and why not celebrate a meatless Monday.
Most of us are usually eating too much meat. Salads like this one here are a perfect proof that you don’t always need to add animal protein to make your food nutritious and filling.
I paired kale with wonderful roasted sweet potato, crunchy pumpkin seeds, filling black beans and awesome ruby red seeds of a pomegranate. Since I love spice and strong flavors I also used a healthy spoonful of cayenne, but feel free to leave it out if you are not a fan of spice.
Know your ingredient
Kale is easily one of the most nutritious foods in existence. It’s very nutrient-dense containing loads of Vitamins – A, K, C, and B6. It also has high amounts of manganese, and some calcium, copper, potassium, and magnesium. It’s low on calories and very high in nutrients and also a good amount of antioxidants.
At the same time kale is quite filling and, as such, is a good addition to a weight loss diet.
If you are not a fan of the kale taste don’t give up on it just yet. Try massaging the leaves with a little oil and baking them in a single layer until crispy – heat removes some of the specific taste and you end up with a wonderful crunchy snack – a perfect substitute to unhealthy store-bought chips.
Suggested Cooking Tools
Kale and sweet potato super salad
- 1 Large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 0.5 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 0.5 oranges
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans, drained
- 1/2 small red onion sliced thin
- 0.5 pomegranate
- 1 small apple sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 480° F and cover the tray with a baking paper.
- Massage the sweet potato with avocado oil and season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 12 minutes.
- Add pumpkin seeds to the tray and roast for 3 more minutes.
- Remove and let it cool slightly.
During the baking time, prepare everything else:
- Remove strong stalks from the kale and cut the leaves to bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the kale pieces together with olive oil, some salt and orange juice.
- Massage the salad with your hands so the leaves slightly soften.
- Slice the onion and apple as thin as you can.
- Mix roasted sweet potatoes, pumpkin seeds, black beans, and pomegranate seeds into the salad mixture and enjoy!