Featuring a unique texture and a sweet, tartish flavor, the grape fruit is unquestionably a world favorite and perhaps this is why it is considered as the ‘Queen Among Fruits’ in some cultures.
Interesting Facts about grapes
Either round or oval in shape, grapes are small berry fruits that grow on woody vines, the latter being botanically classified under the genus ‘Vitis’. Edible varieties of grapes either have edible seeds in them or will can seedless.
Based on the manner of consumption, grapes can be of three types namely table grapes, which can be eaten raw; wine grapes, which are grown in vine yards or resin grapes, which primarily serve the purpose of being processed as dry fruit.
Health Benefits Of Grapes
Grape health benefits are diverse and the wide spectrum of nutrients present in the fruit help in keeping a number of physical conditions in check. They are explained in detail below:
• Heart Disease: Both blood clots as well as bad cholesterol (LDL-C) are known to be responsible for instigating heart diseases. Specific anti-oxidants in grapes prevent LDL-C oxidation, thereby reducing the chances of blockages within arteries. Furthermore, grapes boost your blood’s nitric acid levels, thereby preventing the formation of blood clots.
• Respiratory Disorders: Grapes exhibit excellent assimilation properties and as a result increase the moisture content within your lungs. This, in addition to special therapeutic properties make the fruit a natural option for treating respiratory conditions like asthma.
• Indigestion: Dyspepsia is a digestive disorder which causes irritation in the stomach while producing effects of nausea. As such, grapes prove quite useful in treating the condition by reliving your digestive system of pent up heat.
• Constipation: Grapes contain sugar, cellulose and organic acid. Together, these components bestow the fruit with natural laxative properties. Also eating grapes during chronic constipation help tone the stomach and intestines, and initiate bowel movement.
• Renal Efficiency: During renal disorders, the kidneys see a marked drop in efficiency with respect to eliminating acid from the system. Nutrients found in grape act on uric acid to decrease its acidity and in doing so ease the burden on the overworked kidneys.
• Revitalization: When iron content in the blood gets used up faster than it is replenished, you feel fatigued. Now, grapes exhibits appreciable iron content (0.1 mg per 1/3 cup) in them. Therefore, consuming juices made from white or light grapes can replenish blood iron content, and provide you with instant energy.
• Anti-Cancer Properties: Concord grapes are already known to present a form of natural defense against breast cancer. In addition, beneficial phytonutrients such as resveratrol present in the fruit only add to its cancer preventive capacity. Similarly, other grape centric components like proanthocyanidins and anthocyanins stall the proliferation of cancer causing agents from settling within your system.
• Brain Disorders: Grapes form an excellent source of food that only increase overall health of the brain but also halts the onset of neurodegenerative (systematic memory loss) diseases. Take for instance Alzheimer’s disease, which is caused due to increased presence of amyloidal-beta peptides in the brain. The ‘resveratrol’ component present in grapes can help in such cases by naturally reducing these peptide levels in patients.
• Eye Problems: Grapes are extremely efficient against cataracts and macular degeneration, both of which are known to affect a person’s accuracy of vision. The fruit comes packed with active components called flavonoids that help in checking the spread of cataracts.Tags: alzheimer's disease, cancer, grapes, health, kidney, table grape