Coconut and mango have always been good friends. I usually enjoy them together in a dessert form, but they also make an awesome fresh salsa to be enjoyed with savory dishes.
I like my food spicy so I added a good amount of chili flakes, but you can start with only a little. With a salsa this sunny, spicy and bright it´s easy to lift up a simple meal and make something your friends will remember for a long time.
I enjoyed this salsa with a wonderful crispy-skin salmon today, but it would also be a fine addition to chicken or even grilled pork.
Know your ingredient
There are over 3000 varieties of chilies all over the world from very mild to fiery hot. The spiciness level of chilies is measured on the Scoville scale. Some of the peppers like bell peppers and pimentos are very low on Scoville scale and the spicier ones like Carolina Reaper, for example, have up to 3,200,00 units.
It is a fun fact that eating spicy food can make you feel “high.” As the body reacts to spice it releases endorphins that give you the feel-good factor.
- 0.5 mango
- 1 red onion
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- Juice of 1 lime
- 0.5 tbsp chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- Dice the mango and onion to small cubes
- Chop the coriander leaves. Soft stalks are ok too, no need to waste these.
- Add the grated coconut and lime juice. Season with salt and half of the chili to start.
- Mix everything together and leave to sit for 5 minutes. Then taste and add more chili or salt if necessary.