Let’s be honest with each other and give the kids some credit: they’re usually pretty good about eating some vegetables, like carrot sticks, corn on the cob, and sweet peas. But zucchini? Not so much.
But what is something ALL kids can agree they love? Muffins and chocolate! So I’ve decided to pair the two in something that I would call nothing short of a dream come true.
These Chocolate Zucchini Muffins taste sensational and they pack quite a nutritional punch in them, thanks to the 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded zucchini folded inside.
Know Your Ingredient
Zucchinis are loaded with an amazing amount of vitamins, including vitamin B6 (great for energy!) vitamin C, vitamin K, riboflavin, and folates. As far as essential minerals are concerned, you’ll find much needed potassium and manganese inside a zucchini. Toss in some nuts into this recipe and you’ll add an even heftier dose of health benefits in these muffins. (I recommend walnuts or pecans).
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1/2 cup honey (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (you can also use applesauce or a mashed banana)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray cooking spray over muffin cups. You may also use muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the egg with milk, oil, vanilla extract, and honey.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Pour in shredded zucchini and chocolate chips and mix well.
- Pour mixture into muffin tins, a little less than full. Bake for around 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool before eating and Enjoy!