A sweet twist on this rustic, crowd-pleasing dish will have the whole family asking for seconds! Yes, even the kids will love this chicken marbella recipe.
Best part for you? It’s a one dish wonder! That’s right from start to finish it takes one baking dish to prepare. And a little pro tip, use a pretty (ish) baking dish and serve it directly from oven to table. You can’t get easier than that for a weeknight meal!
Okay, the easy clean-up is a major plus but let’s talk about the chicken marbella dish itself. This chic, homey, and oh-so-satisfying entrée can be whipped up in a breeze and takes very little prep & will have the whole family reaching for seconds.
It’s surprisingly bright in flavor thanks to the brine from the olives, capers & red wine vinegar. But decadent, and dare I say, a little naughty from the dates & brown sugar. The whole, roasted garlic cloves round this beauty out with that classic, mouth watering aroma that only garlic can so excellently manage.
Know your ingredients:
Reach for the organic chicken whenever possible. Conventional chicken is often fed GMO corn & grains, antibiotics, and even surrounded by sewer sludge used as fertilizer. Let’s keep it clean people! Go organic.
As for the sweet twist on this recipe, the dates are a star performer. When possible, get Medjool dates. They are a bit darker & have an incredible caramely (that’s a word.) flavor with a perfect, chewy texture. Just make sure to purchase pitted dates or pit them yourselves-we don’t want any emergency trips to the dentist.
- 1 whole chicken bones broken down, skin on, bone in
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 4 peeled garlic cloves left whole
- 1/4 cup capers with juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. In a medium size baking dish add olive oil, red wine vinegar, dates, garlic, green olives, capers, bay leaves & dried oregano. Stir to combine well.
- In a single layer add chicken to above marinade while oven heats. This is the minimum marinade time suggested. Allowing the chicken to marinade for 2 hours is ideal.
- Once oven is preheated, add white wine to baking dish and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly on chicken.
- Put chicken in the oven & cook for approximately 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees and the juices run clear.
- Serve directly in the baking dish for a rustic, family style meal or transfer to individual plates & finish with fresh parsley.