Cabbage is an often-used vegetable as it is available everywhere in the world. It is also cheap and you can buy it in practically any season of the year Let’s see why eating cabbage is good and why cabbage is such an important part of a well-balanced, healthy diet.
The History Of Cabbage
Cabbage has become a well-known vegetable from around 600 BC and the first nation that used it was the Celtics. The beneficial effects of cabbage were also well-known by the Greeks and Romans.
The Various Types Of Cabbage
Cabbages are of several types, but each one keeps the signature outlook of cabbage, which is hundreds of leaves covering each other through dozens of layers. Let us see which types of cabbage are in use today:
– Green cabbage – This is the classic cabbage which we widely know and use all around the world.
– Red cabbage – Red cabbage has a spicier and more dominant flavor and it is more nutritious than the white cabbages.
– Savoy Cabbage: Invented in Italy, this is a large sort of cabbage with curlier and bumpier leaves than usual.
– Chinese cabbage: This is a long, oval-shaped sort of cabbage with a lighter texture and taste.
Cabbage in our culture:
Today, the cultural hub of cabbage is in Middle Europe with Germany, Austria and Poland.
The Health Benefits Of Cabbage:
1. Eating cabbage leads of healthier and younger skin
Cabbage is extremely rich in vitamins and antioxidants; therefore, the regular consumption of cabbage or cabbage juice leads to a more youthful, younger skin. The Vitamin A, D and C protects the skin from the harmful effects of UV rays.
Cabbage also cures skin diseases including skin eruptions, arthritis, eczema, acnes, rashes and even wounds, ulcers and insect bites.
2. Nourishes hair
Due to the rich content of antioxidants such as Vitamin A and its richness in minerals including iron, sulfur, and magnesium, the constant consumption as well as the topical use of cabbage juice does wonders with the hair in terms of conditioning and nourishing.
3. Relieves muscle pain, helps in losing weight
Cabbage contains lots of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. It boosts the immunity as it has high content of Vitamin C. Due to richness in amino acids, it restores the balance of the skin. Cabbage also helps in losing weight due to its low fat content. Cabbage is also great for relieving constipation, as it is rich in fibers. It also relieves muscle pain due to great content of lactic acid.
4. Protects against illnesses
It is scientifically proven that cabbage contains many ingredients that have very important role as medicine for the body. So, how can cabbage consumption help you.
– Prevents cancer due to its content of a special glucosinolate called sinigrin
– Reduces the risk of cataract: Beta carotene content in cabbage helps in prevention of macular degeneration of the eyes
– Reduces the possibility of Alzheimer’s disease due to its high vitamin K content
– Helps in treating peptic ulcers due to high content of glutamine
Daily Consumption And Side Effects
Although cabbage seems to be just the perfect food, don’t consume more than 300 to 500 ml of cabbage juice a day, or not more than 200 grams of cabbage in its boiled form.
Due to its rich fiber content, cabbage can have remarkable side effects due to all the gases that are set free inside the stomach during consumption: breaking serious winds that also lead to pains in the stomach.
How to use cabbage as a remedy
Cabbage works both topically and internally depending on the reason of its use.
In order for cabbage to work with 100% efficiency, it is best consumed raw, short-cooked or steamed.
Do not cook, bake or microwave cabbage or it loses its healthy effects.Tags: cabbage, diet, dietary fiber, health, health benefits